Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

My 2 cents; I think the idea that Bench is tricep and upper back is a view which is highly influenced by WSB and just shirted lifting in general.

For me, I used to have a very strong upper back, back and legs. But my Bench was terrible. I actually competed for a couple of years with a awful Bench (200) and pretty decent squat and deadlift (400/500). Predictably at that strength level my legs/back were muscular but my chest/shoulders lagged.

As I finally started putting more and more work into the Bench my entire upper body grew. My chest and shoulders now look pretty big on me.

I think the idea that triceps are important certainly has a lot of merit, I'm not denying that but we need to keep a little perspective here. Just like all of hocus-pocus about squats being all hamstrings. People take a good piece of advice and then just run away with it, forgetting that the quads' primary function is to extend the leg! The chest draws the arms together and it's a large muscle of course it will help, particularly at the bottom.

So let's keep some perspective, especially for a raw lifter sure it's good to train triceps and hamstrings, of course it is. But let's keep not take a good idea and warp it into something else, the chest and quads are still massively important.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote