View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
You can't talk rationally with irrational people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
It isn't even a matter of IF Vs Frequent Feeds either, people with this mentality won't be dissuaded.
Point taken.

We try some pretty strange and unique eating approaches here on MAB, at least strange when viewed through the lens of frequent feeding. I myself do Paleo Intermittent Fasting with morning protein and weekend carb refeeds. I have no idea why what I do works, but it works. I've spend years making personal modifications. I can bulk on this approach. I can cut on this approach. I've done both during the last 5 years, successfully.

The big battle is with the either/or mentality.

I've been attacked by proponents of frequent feeding for advocating variations, so I know what it's like to be a tweener. My only hope for anyone is that they learn, experiment, and remain willing to tweak things no matter what the far ends of the spectrum say. This is really what my battle is about, as you were able to state far more concisely.

Quote:
It's possible to disagree with person's opinions but an ideal is harder to overcome, and people who don't have enough strength in their own convictions will steadfastedly align themselves with an ideal as they don't have or want the necessary strength in their own convictions and opinions to discuss or even to think of things themselves and the arrogance to think they need to know something about everything.
I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago, so I'm glad you brought it up.

Quote:
Why do you think is so Jeremy Clarkson is so popular in the UK? He's an abrupt, unintelligent simpleton who has an opinion on everything but knows nothing. He's popular not because he talks sense, he's popular because he tells people who can't think for themselves, what to think.
Again, an excellent point. I was driving home last night listening to a talk radio personality and the thought struck me...he is very opinionated and passionate about his convictions, I could see why people who are looking for direction latch onto him.

I can't lie, I've been pulled in by conviction and passion. I've rallied around causes, both political, religious and exercise related. I was looking for direction at these times in my life, and occasionally feeling overwhelmed I would align with the passionate, convicted voice instead of processing information myself.

I think I was too insecure at these times just to step out and make my own path. Perhaps I also wanted everything to be black or white, good or bad, and to align with the "good guys" or fight against the bad guys.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote