View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

This is the feedback I get at least twice a day. This one is fresh off the griddle. If you want my honest opinion this is starting to feel like Mike Mentzer all over again. The bolded part is critical, because the article was about cutting for bodybuilding. I report, you decide.

Bullshit or not, frequent feeding has never let a bodybuilder down that I am aware of. Sorry if that offends anyone but it's the truth, and if you can't handle the truth, then you're only short-changing yourself.

Here is my personal case study:

Natural Bodybuider Profiles: The Best Natural Physiques | Muscle & Strength

Athlete Interviews: Fitness Models, Bodybuilders & More | Muscle & Strength

Body Transformations: Amazing Muscle Gain & Fat Loss Transformations | Muscle & Strength

Fitness Model Profiles With Videos & Pictures | Muscle & Strength

Figure Athlete Profiles With Videos & Pictures | Muscle & Strength

I've personally interviewed, profiled, and documented the approaches of over 200 amazing physiques in the past several years, all with plenty of real-world experience cutting, all who look great, and perhaps one - maybe one of the transformations - used intermittent fasting.

Again, I respect intermittent fasting, believe it's great for weight loss, and use a variation myself. With that said, frequent feeding works, and has a track record.

I think too much weight is being placed on the science here, and the role of the athlete in this mix is being underscored. It is rarely one single approach that is magic. The magic usually comes from the athlete's ability to modify this program to fit their needs.

If these athletes were to use intermittent fasting I am confident they would modify it to fit their needs, and at this point in the game, I'm not sure a portion of the intermittent fasting community could handle this personal modification. I know because I deal with frequent attacks because of my modifications.

By the way, I have not read anyone's responses yet, so my comments are generalized remarks. I hope everyone understands that.

Quote:
A lot of bullshit in this article...

meal frequency is irrelevant to body composition

Start with Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

I also suggest you read:

Increased meal frequency does not promote greater ... [Br J Nutr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
This study shows there was no difference in weight loss between subjects with high/low meal frequencies.

Meal frequency and energy balance. [Br J Nutr. 1997] - PubMed - NCBI
Evidence supports that meal frequency has nothing to do with energy in the subjects.

Compared with nibbling, neithe... [Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI
Yet again, no difference in energy in the subjects compared to 2 meals/d to 6 meals/d.

And if you want to do some more detailed digging, you can read:

Influence of the feeding frequency on nutrie... [Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991] - PubMed - NCBI
Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991 Mar;45(3):161-9.Links
Influence of the feeding frequency on nutrient utilization in man: consequences for energy metabolism.

Compared with nibbling, neithe... [Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Apr;25(4):519-28.Links
Compared with nibbling, neither gorging nor a morning fast affect short-term energy balance in obese patients in a chamber calorimeter.

Acute effects on metabolism and appetite profile o... [Br J Nutr. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
Br J Nutr. 2008 Jun;99(6):1316-21. Epub 2007 Dec 6. Links
Acute effects on metabolism and appetite profile of one meal difference in the lower range of meal frequency.

Influence of the feeding frequency on nutrie... [Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991] - PubMed - NCBI
Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991 Mar;45(3):161-9.Links
Influence of the feeding frequency on nutrient utilization in man: consequences for energy metabolism.

Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Apr;25(4):519-28.Links
Compared with nibbling, neither gorging nor a morning fast affect short-term energy balance in obese patients in a chamber calorimeter
Acute effects on metabolism and appetite profile o... [Br J Nutr. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
Br J Nutr. 2008 Jun;99(6):1316-21. Epub 2007 Dec 6. Links
Acute effects on metabolism and appetite profile of one meal difference in the lower range of meal frequency.

Meal frequency and energy balance. [Br J Nutr. 1997] - PubMed - NCBI
Br J Nutr. 1997 Apr;77 Suppl 1:S57-70. Links
Meal frequency and energy balance.

Highlighting the positive impact of increasing fe... [Forum Nutr. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI
Forum Nutr. 2003;56:126-8.Links
Highlighting the positive impact of increasing feeding frequency on metabolism and weight management.

Evidence that eating frequency... [Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998 Feb;22(2):105-12.Links
Evidence that eating frequency is inversely related to body weight status in male, but not female, non-obese adults reporting valid dietary intakes.
Decreased thermic effect of fo... [Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004 May;28(5):653-60. Links
Decreased thermic effect of food after an irregular compared with a regular meal pattern in healthy lean women.

Regular meal frequency creates more appropri... [Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI
Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004 Jul;58(7):1071-7. Links
Regular meal frequency creates more appropriate insulin sensitivity and lipid profiles compared with irregular meal frequency in healthy lean women.

Association of eating frequency with... [Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007 Jan;15(1):100-6. Links
Association of eating frequency with body fatness in pre- and postmenopausal women.

Beneficial metabolic effects of regular meal ... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI
Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Jan;81(1):16-24. Links
Comment in:
Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Jan;81(1):3-4.
Beneficial metabolic effects of regular meal frequency on dietary thermogenesis, insulin sensitivity, and fasting lipid profiles in healthy obese women

Acute appetite reduction assoc... [Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1999 Nov;23(11):1151-9.Links
Acute appetite reduction associated with an increased frequency of eating in obese males.

read: The Dirt on Clean Eating | Wannabebig
Is there a limit to how much protein the body can use in a single meal? | Wannabebig

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-25-2012 at 07:23 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links