View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom View Post
What are some myths of body building that you have come across? Here are a few I have seen or heard about.

1. If you are female and lift, you will not look feminine.

2. You can spot reduce areas on your body.
Strangely, they claim this is a myth but there are studies (dare I say it ) that indicate otherwise and a discussion with various members on another forum also indicated that those who trained certain areas tended to find they were leaner in those areas of the body as well.

The claim is that the body draws a certain percentage of its energy from the fat beneath the skin of the body part being worked; and if you look at some overweight and pretty much out of shape people, some of them have pretty small legs in comparison to the belly, so it does make you wonder.

The study was in 2007, I think, it's referred to in a book I have laying about somewhere.