View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
Sorry for asking a question that has no doubt been asked many times before but I am confused .

I had the understanding that to gain muscle you need to have a calorie surplus and to lose fat you need to have a calorie deficit .This is what makes doing both at the same time impossible without the use of steroids

You don't need steroids to do both at the same time and no it's not impossible; I've done it and intend doing it again.

However it seems that both can be done at the same time

My question is who can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? For example do you need to have a large amount of body fat or be a beginner?

No, to neither; I had low levels of bodyfat and had been working out for a while, I still lost bodyfat and gained lean mass.

What it is the required diet to achieve both these goals at the same time?

It's difficult to say; I just eat and listen to my body, if it seems that it wants more food above what it's already had, then I go eat more.

thanks for any feedback
I will say, that I was eating a LOT more when doing both together but not so much that I gained bodyfat, obviously. It may just be a case of trial and error for you.