kenbanks
Brawn
Points: 2,151, Level: 28 Points: 2,151, Level: 28 Points: 2,151, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Too damn long
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: I don't take supplements.
kenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryh View Post
I am no where near ready for a competition but I would love to hear how your first one went. Were you nervous? How did you do? What would you have done differently to get ready for it? I am thinking I should train hard and compete, and will try to make that a goal of mine.
I'm gonna go ahead and guess you're referring to BB, given what forum you posted in. I've been in nine bodybuilding competitions since 2009, and am taking part in 4-6 more this fall. I'm far from the world's biggest or best bodybuilder, but choosing to compete is the best decision I've ever made. I took second place in the Novice "short" class in my first show, and was immediately hooked. I was very nervous for weeks, but your time on stage is so short and rushed that you don't really have a chance to get nervous on stage.

With 20/20 hindsight, I would have given myself a few more weeks of dieting (I did 12, and probably should have done 16) to be ready. I was nowhere near as lean in my first competition as I am when I compete these days, but I'm very glad I didn't back out of that first show. Like someone else said, if you wait "until you're ready", you'll never wind up taking the stage! Just set a date, pick a show, give the dieting your best for a few months, and show up and compete on said day. You'll learn so much and it will be totally worth it.
kenbanks is offline   Reply With Quote