themaster2981
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Creatine Mono
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
I would like to add that, in my opinion, if anyone is using a belt in order to feel safer in using bad technique, or is using a belt because it gives them artificial 'confidence' to lift a given weight, then that person should not be using a belt.

A belt is a tool. It's purpose is to provide further midsection stability during lifts that require heavy support; such as deadlifts, squats, partials, etc. While it may also provide some degree of safety, it should not be used as a crutch. Your midsection still has the same stress placed on it with a belt as without one, and your muscles still have to work hard. A belt will not circumvent this.
IM then how about knee wraps? It assists the athlete in squatting more weight at the same time it also keeps the knee safe. Would you call the knee wraps crutches? And would it be safe squatting without knee wraps?

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote