View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 06:13 AM  
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I'm writing from my phone so I'll be brief. I used 5/3/1 for more than a year and then switched to Westside which I am still using 15months later. In my opinion the pros and cons for both are as follows:

5/3/1
PROS
Easy to set-up and understand
Lots of practice on core lifts (especially on the BBB template)
High volume and sub maximal weights so low risk for new lifters

CONS
For a competitive lifter the weights are too low
For a novice lifter who will make gains through technique and CNS adaptation very quickly so the planned progression can be too slow

WESTSIDE
PROS
Lots of variation so boredom is unlikely
Weekly work at 90%+ of your maxes
Use of accommodating resistance to allow more frequent lifting on core lifts
Improves both strength and speed
Works very well for equipped lifters using squat suits, bench shirts, etc
High volume assistance for hypertrophy

CONS
A LOT of the literature around how to set this up is written for lifters who are already well conditioned and quite possibly using PEDs
If you're a RAW lifter a lot of exercises and templates need to be changed to make them work for you without gear
You have to be a proficient enough lifter (or have access to a coach/someone who is) to be able to accurately assess your lifts and decide what your weaknesses are and how to attack them

I may think of more but that's a good starting point.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote