Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
As the title says...though everyone likes to see huge numbers being shifted and it's always great to watch...do you prefer to gauge people by their relative strength or absolute strength? Competitions etc notwithstanding, since we know that contests are about absolute strength.

Personally, though I like to watch feats of absolute strength and take nothing away from the overall stronger lifter, I prefer to gauge people's strength by their relative strength.
I personally Like to watch the All-around strength sort of events, and tailor my own workouts (to a degree around this premise).

Please no one take offense to what I am about to post. This is not my intent.

For example: a powerlifter might be able to bench press 600 lbs at a body weight of 280 lbs, but maybe he can only do 4 pull ups, and couldn't run a block to save his soul. At the end of that block, all that strength means NOTHING. Because he can not breath, and is basically useless. (This assumes no cardiovascular conditioning)

However:

A 175-180 lb guy (for example) can only bench 315, but he can bust out about 30 pull ups, run 2 miles rather effortlessly. And, at the end of those two miles, his relative strength is still there and can still use it.

So let me ask you, who is really stronger? Better yet, which person’s strength would you wish to have? Sorry, but I’d rather be the smaller guy, but this is just me.

This is just Personal preference. I support all personal goals. What ever they may be.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 05-08-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote