With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
A couple of questions, being as I'm about to start training again.

1) Is it prudent to put forth a multi-front attack, i.e. work on singles on more than one or two lifts during an extended cycle? Should I focus on one lift, say deadlift, for instance, (being as I have a timely weight goal), or BP(since that is by far my weak link in the PL chain)? Or does it matter, since I plan on plenty of recovery between workouts and perhaps even 10 days between exercise specific workouts (Squat day, Bench Day, DL day, OHP day)?

2) Please discuss the amount of assistance work done during these singles phases. I would probably only attempt singles every other "week." Every fourth "week" would be a deload. I put the word "week" in quotes, because my training weeks run from Squat Day to Squat Day. Not always seven days in between. Never, in fact.
I will say this: Heavy singles are brutal. You do not, I repeat, do NOT rush into them if you are used to doing high or medium rep ranges all the time.

I would suggest breaking into them slowly; starting off with 5/4/3/2/1 or some other scheme to get used to handling heavier weights on a consistent basis. Once you get used to that, you can start out with singles.

As long as you are getting enough recovery, I would do singles on many different lifts at once. I'll do singles for almost every heavy exercise I do.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'assistance work' because I train everything hard and heavy; as I aim for all-round strength. But I would imagine that if you are going to concentrate on a few specific lifts above all else, you would adjust your workload accordingly to cover other movements. i.e. Shoulders, upper back, etc.