View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Only speaking for myself, and by no means trying to step on anyone's toes, but training is 95% for me. As long as I am not undereating, I have never personally found any reason to worry about micromanaging my diet. I make sure it consists of a fair share of sensible, nutrient dense foods and a quality amount of protein, but beyond that I don't obsess over details.

It certainly does help to be in tune with the scale, and to know the calorie and macronutrient levels of most foods. This has helped make my life easier. It makes cutting easier for me. Even when I need to maintain or cut I don't count calories. I know about what I am eating, but I rarely count beyond a ballpark level.

Bodybuilders are unique creatures and need to micromanage during cutting, so I am certainly not minimizing that practice in any way. It is a requirement to be successful in that sport.

I have out-trained a bad diet and poor sleep habits many, many times.

It is interesting to note that on any given muscle building forum, 90% of the trainees are micromanaging their food and macro intake, yet they gravitate towards bloated, inefficient workouts and seem to have a minimal regard for using the most effective exercises, nor do they understand what progression of weight is.

I do not blame them. They are trying the best they can with the info they are given. But it is much easier to eat with structure than it is to give it hell in the gym. Just my opinion. Most people think they are training hard, but their training lacks focus and is more working out than it is training for a specific goal.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote