Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Biggest point...don't take huge jumps. Also, rest between sets. Don't jump from set to set with only 90-120 seconds rest. Rest 3-5 minutes or so.

If your testing a new squat max and you lift in the low 300s, try something like:

Bar x 10-15
135 x 5
185 x 1-3
225 x 1
255 x 1
285 x 1
315 x 1
330 x New 1RM attempt
Looks like what I do. Amazing. I must be on to something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
I like to rest until I'm getting irritated about resting so long, which usually takes 3ish minutes. I will also usually take a PR and stop rather than risk injury by pushing for another, bigger lift, but thats just a heuristic, if I still feel strong and like I'm not going to fall apart, I'll go for a bigger one.
Me too. I had opportunity a couple of times this past week, but decided that my primary goal was to BEAT the OLD PR. 5 pounds is 5 pounds. Mission accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Just to add to what has been said, if you really want a proper max it will usually take more than one session. So feel free to have a run of 2-3 sessions where you max, that outta give you a clearer idea.
Very interesting. I've never thought of that before. I might have to try that. I have squats to test sometime this weekend maybe. Would you "max out" one day then give it a few days and come back and try to beat that max either by skipping a warm up set or cutting back on warmup reps?

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote