View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanK91 View Post
I understand that diet is the key to this but I'm not sure if specific training will suit it?
Any muscle building workout. The only thing you don't want to do is train "light" when trying to lose a few pounds.

Lifting when cutting fat is no different than lifting when building muscle. The primary goal is to do everything you can to push yourself for progression, day in and day out.

Quote:
Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 seems pretty interesting?
I don't think that's your best choice right now. You are better served with a program that allows you to push each week for more reps and weight. You've been making good weekly progression and I would recommend staying on that path. Wendler's periodizes and I simply don't think that's the best path for you yet.

Quote:
I'm planning on trying Bill Starr's 5x5's while bulking so I'm looking for something to tie me over for now.
Are your primary goals muscle building? If so I might suggest a fullbody or upper lower with a little more exercise variation. Starr's 5x5 is certainly a great workout, but for straight muscle building a fullbody like the one Fazc recommend, or several other fullbodies or upper/lower splits might be more beneficial when helping you reach your specific goal.

First and foremost you need a progression approach, meaning you need to know how and when you will be adding weight.

Fazc presented an option. I am going to present an upper/lower option based on some of your exercises.

Upper
Bench
DB Row
Overhead press variation
Pullups/Dips Superset
Curls

Lower
Squats - 3 sets
Stiff Leg Deadlift
Lunges
Calfs
Abs