With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My 2 cents...

The real danger for me has been in doing too many singles relative to the percentage. This sounds rather vague, but it does vary slightly person to person, and it can vary for me day to day.

I notice at 90% work for example that I seem to run into a minor hamstring tweak around reps 4-5. The cumulative fatigue combined with minor form deterioration is enough to put me into a danger zone.

At 85% I am pretty safe working up to 8-10 or more, if I wanted too. The weight burden is not such that even with minor form deterioration or minor fatigue that it places me into any form of training danger.

95% singles need to be performed fresh, when my body is 100%, and when I am in a nice form groove. Even then, they are a one off for me.

But like Fazc said, entering this "spotty" zone isn't unique to singles. I've run things like 8x3 squats at 80% and was pushing myself into a zone of fatigue and form deterioration. Same with some 5x5s, 10 rep sets, etc.

When singles are foreign to a lifter they can often be approached recklessly. Limits have not been established, and a lifter may not know where his general sweet spot is.

The biggest mistake I made with singles (doubles and triples too) was assuming because one rep/set was solid that the next would be. In my opinion it's best to creep into them rather that jump into the deep end.

For example, if you're going to try 90%, don't just jump into 4 or 5 right away. Take a few weeks and try to feel things out. Perhaps you will find that 3 singles at 90% always seems to go well. Perhaps it's 2 or 4.

There are many variables involved, from age to bodypart weaknesses to a lifter's form.
Agreed. You have to crawl before you can walk, and if you're used to doing high-rep sets or 5x5 you need to start off on the slow end. Maybe with 5/4/3/2/1 or working your way into triples, then doubles, then singles.