View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
Using a hook grip serves a few purposes:

1) Prevents muscling up the weight by making your grip on the bar better without involving your biceps and forearms as much.

2) For some, makes it easier to flip their elbows under the bar because it becomes easier to rotate the bar/arms forward.

3) Cuts out having to do extra grip work when the weight gets heavy.

I used a hook grip for a while until I got the hang out of getting under the bar. After that, I switched to a regular overhand grip for much the same reason that I like to jump up to the chin-up bar with weights on my belt...
Yep, I've read about this as well; besides, apparently, watching people use the hook grip is the best fun the trainers have

Also, for some people, letting the thumb nail grow a little bit longer helps, because it gives more surface for the fingers to contact with; particularly helpful for those with smaller hands, from what I've read.