View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #36
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
BTB, in my opinion, working with 70%-80% 1rm will get you nowhere. If you want strength gains, you need to go >%100. I overload over %100 almost every heavy bench day. I don't think your shoulders could handle this more than once a week. Mine won't.
Hi Roger,

I'm not focusing on 70-80% work, and haven't for quite some time. I've been working over 100% for the last 6 months, 3x a week. Right now what I am doing isn't working well so I'm merely trying to add some rep work at 85% to this mix, as well as some tricep and bicep assistance work.

I have no plans on setting supra-100% work aside. I'm simply trying to drop the frequency to 1.5 times per week while adding in some 85% benching reps as a semi-moderate day, and some tricep assistance reps. The 85% bench reps are all paused reps.

My gym bench max last August was 365. Since that time I've performed probably 150-200 singles at or about 365. Most of them at 405+.

I just wanted to make sure I addressed the point of 100% because that's been the cornerstone of my training since August of last year. My only goal now is to continue to use it while tweaking a few things, such as doing more tricep-centric work and adding some bicep work.

I can't board press at home very well with my current setup. It isn't an option, so I use the Slingshot which allows me to work up to 450-ish, which is up to 60 pounds over my 1RM.

I appreciate all the feedback in this thread by everyone. I don't pretend to have all the answers. Just hoping to make some minor adjustments and dial a few things in.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-17-2012 at 07:54 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote