Thread: Rack pulls
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Rack pulls at knee, or above the knee never carry over much for me. I've spent a lot of time with them, giving them long runs, and the return on investment was little to none. I think at that level I've experienced great rewards from doing heavy power shrugs than high rack deads. Mileage may vary of course, as this is just my experience.

On the other hand low rack deads have been gold for me. Using them about 4 inches off the ground has been paying off, and in addition, they are easier on my body than floor pulls. This last point is a big one for me. I am still experimenting with them, but with how well they are working for me right now, I plan on giving them a long, hard run the next year.

In the past 5 years 99% of my rack pulls were either a hair below knee or higher. So low rack deads are still a new venture.

The more I analyze the deadlift, though I am far from an expert, the more I notice that most people are strong off the floor. If you ask me man to man away from forums I would tell you I am not a fan of deficit pulls for this reason. Certainly they are beneficial, and can be beneficial, but I am starting to believe that a deadlifter's time might be better spent pulling low rack deads a few inches off the floor.

I hate to generalize, and that's not my intention here. Merely saying I think low racks should be given a good run.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-15-2012 at 09:37 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote