View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Saying youth is more liberal, and less educated isn't an insult. From a statistical standpoint, younger people are more liberal and less educated. They have had less time on earth to learn and experience.

This is not meant as an insult, or from a perspective of superiority. Politics aside, which this really isn't about for me, this is just the way of life.
And for me, I'd say the exact opposite. I started off in my teens as politically conservative. My life experiences and eduucational journey have moved me in the opposite direction, and I now regard my inital position as very naive.

I have absolutely no statistics on this, but my personal experience is that I see a general inverse correlation between level of education and conservatism. The PhDs and graduates I know are mostly left leaning, those with high school education are genrally a bit conservative. The exception is IT and engineering graduates - they're nearly all conservative, for some reason (cos they don't really understand human beings )

As in your post, no insult intended, that's just my observations, which are no doubt biased by what I want to see.

For myself, my belief about politics really follow from having a science and philosophy background. Once I'd really thought through the implications of my academic beliefs, conservatism wasn't really tenable for me.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote