View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #29
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
Yes, the Schlacht im Teutoburger Wald was a great example of brilliant military tactics in ancient times.

I'm big on history in general. I used to read history books for fun when I was a kid, especially anything about knights and ancient battles. You'd be surprised at how adept our ancestors were at warfare; and how impressive some of their feats of strength were.

I'll check out that title in the future, thanks!
Ah, now, if you like history in general then I've got a few more for you:

1. John Julian Norwich - Byzantium (can't remember the precise title - there are three in the series). Beautifully written history of the Eastern Roman Empire from the third-fifteenth century.

2. Robert Graves - Count Belisarius. I read this historical novel after the Norwich books. The tragic tale of Byzantium's most brilliant and daring general.

3. Xenophon - March of the Ten Thousand (Anabasis). Xenophon's own account of how he marched his comparatively small army hundreds of miles into hostile Persian territory, hammered the Perisans, and then marched back out again.

4. Robert K. Massie - Peter the Great - His Life and World. Just one of the most interesting books I've ever read, about the remarkable figure who dragged Mother Russia kicking and screaming out of the dark ages.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote