Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Not to get into too big of an argument of atkins, but he actually recommends 100g+ a day if you can handle it. The 20g a day is only supposed to last 2 weeks, and then you bump 10g a day (a weekly bump) until you hit your sweet spot. In his book, he repeatedly talks about the need for vegetables that are nutrient dense. His diet plan is often misrepresented, but if you take the time to read his actual work and not the bastardization everyone points it, its pretty good.
I haven't read his book; only guidelines of the diet itself.

Not to cause an arguments over carbs vs. fats, but fatty acids are actually the bodies preferred source of energy. Carbs are the preferred source when ATP is made outside of the mitochondria (anaerobically), but as long as you're having some sort of carb intake during the week I see no reason anyone would lose muscle mass during a low carb diet.

My preferred overall diet of choice would be TKD, the targeted ketogenic diet or the Paleo diet. TKD involves carbs pre and post workout, or maybe pre or post workout, but carbs during the day to get your workouts in, and then the rest of the day healthy fats are your preferred source.

I've heard a lot of success stories on general carb cycling as well. I think "which is better" is all relative to the individual.

Some of you guys may not take to this article too well, but I figured it's worth a read anyway.

Can a High-Fat Diet Beat Cancer? - TIME

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote