View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #90
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
You are right in your post, but that is also referring mainly to the Atkins diet.

The reason the bodybuilder would lose muscles and flatten out, is lack of glycogen at the site.

During resistance training, we use our anaerobic glycosis energy system.

Anaerobic means without oxygen, so ATP is produced outside of the mitochondria.

Anaerobic glycosis can only use glucose/glycogen. If carbs are not present, then our anerobic energy system would not be as efficient. Our bodies would begin to breakdown protein to use as glucose.

Ketogenic diets require carbs either

-pre and post workout (TKD)
-carb loading (CKD)

The Atkins diet is mainly what that is in reference to.

I made reference to what you just said in my response to Chillen.

Protein can be converted to glucose. Carbs are converted to glucose.

When protein is converted to glucose, it generates ammonia. Ammonia is very toxic.

Not to mention excretion of ammonia during high protein turnover often results in the body not being properly hydrated.

The author of that post was making the comment in regards to glucose, I'm sure of.

That's why ketogenic diets are more fat than protein. You want fat to be the energy source and not protein. Protein being used as glucose can be dangerous.

Lets also keep in mind most people that take whey protein do so with milk, which contains sugars/simple carbohydrates that could assist in the spike of insulin.
uhm no Shelby is talking about Keto. He is a bodybuilder and one of the most knowledgeable people with nutrition, period.
BTW, Atkins is pretty much the same thing as Keto. high fats and proteins, low or no carbs....etc. etc.

FYI. the first 10lbs or so of weight loss in keto, is water. so dont get all excited. But, hey, go ahead and suffer, I'll carb cycle, keep my sanity, cut faster, hold more muscle mass, and be over here smiling while you keep arguing over nutrition and nutrition related questions you should already know about, since you're certified. =0 )

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote