Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn
Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Hey OP if I could just throw this food for thought your way...

I have been known at all 3 of my gyms (yes, 3 gyms, one for normal workouts, one for strongman equipment and one for heavy *ss dumbbells) as the guy that bends the bars with Rack Pulls and Shrugs... Not to state e-stats, but I feel it adds some credibility to what I'm going to suggest, but I can dumbbell shrug 150lb with strict form for 25-30 reps, and barbell shrug anywhere from 700lb-800lb for sets of 10-12 or even 15 reps, and 800-900 for sets of 6-8 reps or so... Rack pulls are roughly the same weight wise.

With that said, I have found the BEST results for my shrugging to come from slow, strict repetitions using lighter weight dumbbells, for sets of anywhere from 25-50 reps per set. The high rep moderately heavy (though still very light in comparison) sets allowed me to thicken the upper and lower traps up nicely...

A typical trap routine for me these days looks like:

Barbell Shrugs 710x12,12,12,12.
Dumbbell Shrugs 75x25,25,25,25,25.

Seems high volume but it really isn't, not for the traps anyways, at least not for me. I'm all about finding balance within training volume, and have found this element of higher volume works together nicely with my lower volume routine for the other major muscle groups...

Anyways thought I would throw the lower weight higher rep concept out there, up to you on whether to use it or not... Message me if you have any questions!

Keep up the good work brother!
DocColossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links