Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I am a proponent of simplicity. Simple things are easier to understand and stick with for long periods of time. Simple workouts are effective and easy to manipulate towards your goals. Simple diets are are also easier to stick with and manipulate towards your goals. Therefore, I leave the science to the guys that want to be very smart and I leave the complexity to the guys stepping on stage. I tend to listen to experts that take a middle-of-the-road approach. Towards that end I give you these quotes from an expert that actually walks-the-walk...

This post is not directed at MVP, but simply to show another side to the low carb dieting.

"Remember, two of the most beneficial effects of carb intake (and the resultant insulin spike) is that it shuttles glucose and amino acids into muscle tissue and blunts the effects of cortisol, both important considerations for natural lifters."

"If carbs are restricted too severely or for too long, the bodybuilder flattens out and loses muscle. In that same instance they also notice a point in which their metabolism often just stops responding."

"As mentioned earlier, carbs blunt cortisol. Insulin (released in response to carb intake) and cortisol tend to counteract the effect of one another, with insulin acting as a nutrient storage hormone and cortisol (along with glucagon) working to release nutrients in response to the body’s energetic needs."

"While ketogenic diets work well with members of the general public trying to get in shape as quickly as possible (such as the “28-Day Wedding Diet”), they tend to be a bit hit-or miss with bodybuilders. Some lifters do okay with them but most lose too much muscle, come in flat and find that they just cannot train the way they need to."

Shelby Starnes
You are right in your post, but that is also referring mainly to the Atkins diet.

The reason the bodybuilder would lose muscles and flatten out, is lack of glycogen at the site.

During resistance training, we use our anaerobic glycosis energy system.

Anaerobic means without oxygen, so ATP is produced outside of the mitochondria.

Anaerobic glycosis can only use glucose/glycogen. If carbs are not present, then our anerobic energy system would not be as efficient. Our bodies would begin to breakdown protein to use as glucose.

Ketogenic diets require carbs either

-pre and post workout (TKD)
-carb loading (CKD)

The Atkins diet is mainly what that is in reference to.

Quote:
The bolded part is very, very wrong. Insulin is produced in response to blood sugar elevation. You don't need carbs for this, the liver can kick out amazing amount of glucose on its own. Try drinking 3 scoops of pure whey mixed with just water on an empty stomach and measure your blood glucose every 10 minutes. You'll see what I mean.Gluconeogenisis is why we can handle low carb diets. Only the brain has to have glucose as its only source of energy, but its a pretty big deal if it can't get it. Fortunately the liver can step in and help.
I made reference to what you just said in my response to Chillen.

Protein can be converted to glucose. Carbs are converted to glucose.

When protein is converted to glucose, it generates ammonia. Ammonia is very toxic.

Not to mention excretion of ammonia during high protein turnover often results in the body not being properly hydrated.

The author of that post was making the comment in regards to glucose, I'm sure of.

That's why ketogenic diets are more fat than protein. You want fat to be the energy source and not protein. Protein being used as glucose can be dangerous.

Lets also keep in mind most people that take whey protein do so with milk, which contains sugars/simple carbohydrates that could assist in the spike of insulin.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"

Last edited by MVP; 04-02-2012 at 11:08 AM.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote