View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #87
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I am a proponent of simplicity. Simple things are easier to understand and stick with for long periods of time. Simple workouts are effective and easy to manipulate towards your goals. Simple diets are are also easier to stick with and manipulate towards your goals. Therefore, I leave the science to the guys that want to be very smart and I leave the complexity to the guys stepping on stage. I tend to listen to experts that take a middle-of-the-road approach. Towards that end I give you these quotes from an expert that actually walks-the-walk...

This post is not directed at MVP, but simply to show another side to the low carb dieting.

"Remember, two of the most beneficial effects of carb intake (and the resultant insulin spike) is that it shuttles glucose and amino acids into muscle tissue and blunts the effects of cortisol, both important considerations for natural lifters."

"If carbs are restricted too severely or for too long, the bodybuilder flattens out and loses muscle. In that same instance they also notice a point in which their metabolism often just stops responding."

"As mentioned earlier, carbs blunt cortisol. Insulin (released in response to carb intake) and cortisol tend to counteract the effect of one another, with insulin acting as a nutrient storage hormone and cortisol (along with glucagon) working to release nutrients in response to the body’s energetic needs."

"While ketogenic diets work well with members of the general public trying to get in shape as quickly as possible (such as the “28-Day Wedding Diet”), they tend to be a bit hit-or miss with bodybuilders. Some lifters do okay with them but most lose too much muscle, come in flat and find that they just cannot train the way they need to."

Shelby Starnes

Last edited by Off Road; 04-02-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote