View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I agree with pretty much all of Pull's comments.

A few words about OHP and push presses, as you say you want to work on these.

At the moment, I'm recovering from various injuries that prevent me from bench pressing and deadlifting. I've become interested in increasing my overhead work and have been training this three times a week.

Over about a month, my strict overhead press has gone from 200 to 221. I'm pleased with this, though this is recovering strength to levels held a couple of years back rather than gaining strength for the first time. But I think it shows there's benefits in high frequency pressing.

However, there's a big caveat. I think overhead work is very demanding - more so than any other upper body exercise. It's hard on the support muscles. Working anywhere close to my limit, I find it really tough on the lumbar region - backache sometimes follows. I can manage this at the moment, because I'm only doing one or two other exercises. I would not want to combine this frequency with any more exercises than that.

Also: for me, little things seem to affect my comfort and strength on OHP. Wrist wraps seem to help - they allow the bar to sit slightly higher on the shoulders. Heeled weightlifting shoes help too. Most surprising for me was the effect of standing on a solid floor (as opposed to rubber mat). We have some wooden oly sections sunk into the matting. Standing on that felt er...more solid. None of this stuff substitutes for raw strength, of course .

Good luck with your goals on this. As I've said before, there are very few gym-goers who can get their own bodyweight overhead, so it's a great one to aim for

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote