View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner Mike! A bunch of 2 cents...

For all around upper body greatness I like the idea of focusing on just 2 main upper body lifts. Push press and bench press will be the prime drives of strength. Push those two up and the mil press will follow... maybe 1-2 heavy or higher rep down sets of the mil press after you complete your push pressing work (at which point the mil press will feel pretty light). Those 1-2 down sets won't necessarily push strength but rather demonstrate strength and also keep your body from "forgetting" technique and the correct positions.

I also like the idea of squatting as much as possible. Strength is very much a skill and even if your not pushing massive weight each squat session, your greasing the groove and becoming more efficient in that range of motion.

To your concern with deadlift frequency... Performing deads often, for most people, will have a somewhat negitive effect on their squat. If your squatting, cleaning, and snatching frequently, there is plenty of work to substitute a lack of deadlifts. IE, if the deadlift isn't priority number 1, you can still push deadlift strength by only performing it as infrequently as once every 2-3 weeks (thrown on the heavy day).

I don't hold much faith in speed work for raw lifters. I'm of the opinion that every rep should be pushed as fast as possible. As the 1RM improves, so will the speed of your lighter lifts. Maybe it just comes down to semantics... Either way, don't think of your speed work as light and easy... it shouldn't be. Just push for fast reps at a pretty decent weight - once the program is in full swing, aim for weight in the mid-80% range if not a tad higher.

Pushing the 1RM comes from a combination of volume and intensity, in the ~80% range and higher. The higher the intensity, the lower the total volume and vice versa. Or, what lacks in volume must be made up by intensity, and what lacks in intensity must be made up for by volume. The "how much" defines itself for you as long as you start off conservatively and build up. When you reach a point where day 1 destroys you for the rest of the week, maintain the weight/volume on the following day 1 or cut back a little so that you can still push the other days.

I personally like the high intensity approach because it makes dealing with heavy ass weight pretty easy, both BtB and I can speak for this. Though it does take time getting used to and you can't expect progress everyday since your already training so close to the edge.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links