View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Max
Brawn
Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Max has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good posts

Steve, just when I was getting into this routine I had too read this.

One thing Doug changed later in his life is that you DO NOT do the Power and Pump programs together in the same workout.

He felt the Pump program was overkill and probably did him more harm than good. 8 sets of 90% singles followed by a full 5×5 would kill any of us.

His refined training which he advised when older and wiser (in the late 90′s before his death) went like this:

“A Routine” – Use Singles, start with 4 total and build up one rep per workout until you hit 10. (4 to 10 reps with 90%)

“B Routine” – Use triples and do the same progression. This was used when you went stale on the “A” routine, and was used until you were using the same weight for triples as you did for singles on “A” (12-30 reps with 75-80%)

You would do the “A” program until you went stale (and you WILL go stale, trust me) and then switch to the “B” routine for a few months. You don’t pick and choose depending on the day,you use them in order, A/B/A/B… Doug thought the average guy could go 4 months on each before having to switch to the other program. THIS, he said, was the key to continued gains.

If using the “old style” workouts, you ALWAYS add the single reps to the FIRST sets until you hit the goal. For example:

3/3/3/3/3
4/3/3/3/3
5/3/3/3/3
5/4/3/3/3… and so on…
One thing Doug changed later in his life is that you DO NOT do the Power and Pump programs together in the same workout.

He felt the Pump program was overkill and probably did him more harm than good. 8 sets of 90% singles followed by a full 5×5 would kill any of us.

His refined training which he advised when older and wiser (in the late 90′s before his death) went like this:

“A Routine” – Use Singles, start with 4 total and build up one rep per workout until you hit 10. (4 to 10 reps with 90%)

“B Routine” – Use triples and do the same progression. This was used when you went stale on the “A” routine, and was used until you were using the same weight for triples as you did for singles on “A” (12-30 reps with 75-80%)

You would do the “A” program until you went stale (and you WILL go stale, trust me) and then switch to the “B” routine for a few months. You don’t pick and choose depending on the day,you use them in order, A/B/A/B… Doug thought the average guy could go 4 months on each before having to switch to the other program. THIS, he said, was the key to continued gains.

If using the “old style” workouts, you ALWAYS add the single reps to the FIRST sets until you hit the goal. For example:

3/3/3/3/3
4/3/3/3/3
5/3/3/3/3
5/4/3/3/3… and so on…

You think they were talking about the one I posted above? If so do you think if I keep the same workout, but just split the power and pump days up it would still work?
Max is offline   Reply With Quote