View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
OK, time for me to figure out what my next routine is going to be, and I’m open to some suggestions/thoughts.
I love seeing big posts like this. Grabbing a big glass of milk

Quote:
A few parameters: I want to base it around squats, 3 times a week.
Ok, how about:

Day 1 - Squats
Day 2 - Speed squats
Day 3 - Squats

Like this:

Day 1 - Squats 5x5
Day 2 - Speed squats
Day 3 - Squats Single

This allows more rest after the volume work to deal with DOMS and the physical demands of volume. It is basically how Madcow and the Texas method are structured, except you are adding speed work as your light day.

I like bench the same way...more rest after volume rep work. The single work is easier to recover from physically.

Quote:
Squat 1x1, 3-5 @90%
Are you trying for a max squat each week? Or a max daily single based on how you feel?

The singles at 90% are off your daily single I assume? If so, good.

Now, regarding frequent overhead pressing - hard to do. Not a fan to be honest. I think 2x a week is a limit, and I wouldn't try 3. Mileage may vary. Your template has 5 OHP variations. I would drop some. Also perhaps drop the row on deadlift day. You have 5 back movements plus chinups. That's plenty.

This is one suggestion, simplified:

Monday
Clean and Press
Squats 5x5
Bench Volume
Pullups
Row

Wednesday
Power Snatch
Deadlifts
Speed squats
Speed Bench
Chin Ups

Friday
Clean and Push Press
Squats Single
Bench Single
Neg Pull Ups
Row

Friday is destruction day. You hit the gym and crush PRs.

I'm sure there will be other suggestions. Merely providing you with some food for thought.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-26-2012 at 11:08 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote