Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The result of the progress answers the question...is it enough? It has been enough. Sometimes I feel I should be doing more, but I guess it comes down to...why do more if I am healing and hitting PRs?
I think that mentality and that dichotomy is something I struggle with as well. For me the singles offer something which multiple sets/reps perhaps don't; exercise form.

For me, reps done as singles for the main work represent the ultimate in specificity. As long as enough singles are done (in the region of 10) I can concentrate on form from light to maximal. When I do sets/reps the emphasis is more on focusing on 'getting your reps' rather than what the reps look like. Now this might just be me being amateur! But perhaps not.

For me a sets/reps workout might look like this:

140kg x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Whereas a daily max might look like this:

100kg x 1, 110kg x 1, 120kg x 1, 130kg x 1, 140kg x 1, 150kg x 1

Each rep I can concentrate on my set-up, form, breathing everything.

I know, I should be able to do that on the sets/reps as well and more chances to do so but for whatever reason it's not the same. Perhaps it's because of fatigue or that a rep in between others isn't the same as a rep on it's own. I don't know!!!

Quote:
If I stay below 95% I think I could bench and squat 6x a week if I wanted to, if done wisely. The question for me is all about programming...when to add them, and how to add them. Part of the solution will require me to lift earlier in the day so I am not rushed. This isn't an issue. I just need to get in the habit.
Right, so staying under 95% or even 90% may possibly work better with more frequency.

Some of what I've said here doesn't seem to make much sense logically, but instinctively this feels right.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote