Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
5 months into this program. My raw totals are up nearly 200 pounds during this time.
Excellent.

Quote:
Recently I fell into a pattern of only working to a heavy single or double on most squat and deadlift days. While this is not optimal, I found it allowed me to heal several minor strains, and will return to using method this when I pick up a strain or pain. My numbers still appear to be going up, even with this minimal volume. I have hit PRs during this time, including a huge squat PR.
Just to play Devil's Advocate, what could be more optimal than hitting the lifts in the exact manner you wish to display strength in them i.e, for singles?

Something to bear in mind post-Meet, your numbers are going up and injuries feel good. That's not to be underestimated especially at your level of strength.

Quote:
I am currently squatting heavy 3x a week, working to a max set for that day. Some days it's a max double, some days a single, some days are merely survival mode. Bench I have been hitting heavy 2-3x a week, and deadlifts have been 3x a week but using:

Day 1 - Heavy deads
Day 2 - Rack pull and shrug
Day 3 - RDLs

At my first meet 5 months ago I hit a 1501 raw total. At minimum in April I expect a 1650 total, though 1700 is a possibility.
Excellent, can you see yourself using a 4x a week frequency in the future?

In regards to your question, I generally gravitate towards singles and unless I have a very good reason not to (long-term stalling etc) I probably will stick to singles for the main lifts. I'm a little more open to sets/reps on the other stuff though, like upper back and shoulder work.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links