Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I am fascinated by this thread, but I can't escape the idea that there is no such thing as the perfect solution and seeking it might be detrimental.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Most will never reach a point where there is an ultra fine line between to much work and to little work, the right selection of set/reps/lifts and the wrong selection. I suppose the point of this thread.
Yep pretty much. I'd say it's almost impossible to find a plan which works year round, things inevitably need to be changed for a variety of reasons. An example at the most basic level is sets/reps, singles may be just what is needed for a few weeks/months but at some point it's worth backing off for triples. That's just one very simple example; for most good lifters this just happens through the ebb and flow of training, what we do here is similar except we document those changes and discuss them.

Even top coaches wouldn't just lay a plan out and tell the trainee to come back in 3 months, guys like Pendlay has noted that they generally have a rough weeks plan with their lifters which is subject to change and they re-evaluate from there. It's just the way things are done when you move past whatever highly prescribed system is out there. It's not so much the searching for the perfect program as it is the constant evaluation of what's going on. Add on top of that mine and Steve's interest in these types of things and you get a 50+ page thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Beyond this, no tool is more important to me then the effort. I like studying programming, program structure and program variables, but this interest is a hobby. Moving iron is my passion. I rarely stick to programs, perhaps to my detriment.

Anyway, good thoughts. I think Fazc and myself are very similar in that we like stealing the parts from a machine and building our own machines.
Yep, lifting is my first passion (even after Jack Daniels) and I've always felt you don't get anywhere without thinking about what you're doing. Ultimately that more can be accomplished if you find ways around a supposed ceiling than if you give in to it. That's pretty much what I've been doing the past few years and what we've been doing here in this thread.

Last edited by Fazc; 03-12-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote