View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Sounds like something I wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
For anyone that don't belong to a gym and lift at home with limited weights... I was reading somewhere that by adding a rep to an exercise each week,that it's the same as adding 2.5 pds., but it didn't specify if that was for each set of the exercise or just 1 set...does that sound right?
It depends on rep range and weight added.

Think of it like this....

If you are using the 5 to 8 rep range, and working a lift once a week, progression would be:

Week 1 - Squats...225 x 5 reps
Week 2 - Squats...225 x 6 reps
Week 3 - Squats...225 x 7 reps
Week 4 - Squats...225 x 8 reps

Add 5 pounds at this time and your lift increases are 60+ pounds per year. And 10 pounds and it's 120+ per year.

Pushing for one more rep per set per week will lead to rapid gains over 3 to 4 years. That's really the big point I try to make with this example. People tend to focus way too much on weight when they are best served trying for one more rep.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-08-2012 at 04:49 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote