View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Personal experience from 20+ years of calorie counting is that my body likes to stay at 225. When I'm thinner then that, I gain weight rapidly. Prior to 1996 (age 29), My weight stayed between 170 and 200. During those years, every day was a battle to keep the weight off. A couple of times I found myself right around 225, and it seemed like I gained 40 pounds in a month - it was probably more like 2 or 3.

Since 1996 I have hovered around that point, getting bigger several times. But when I get bigger, the weight literally falls off and I can rocket back down to 225-ish. For example, I started a moderate cutting diet on January 1st. Even without an ultra-restrictive amount of calories, I know my body will lose 20 pounds a month for a couple months.

But, when I lose weight and get to 225...it's like a wall. In 2007 I lost quite a bit of weight. That's when I got back into lifting after several years off. I was losing weight like mad, and then I hit 228 and didn't lose a thing in nearly 3 months. I tried everything...calorie cycling...running, you name it.

I do not know enough about set point theory to express an intelligent opinion. But I do know that for me, 225 is where my body likes to be, and seems to level off.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote