View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 01:19 AM   #4
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
I was wondering what is everyone ones thoughts on the body set point theory? For those of you that have not heard of it, it bascially says that everyone has a certain genetically determined weight/bodyfat that his or her body stays at. Some people diet and when they come off it go back to pretty much their body compostition before. While some Ectomorphs pretty much stay skinny or lean the majority of the time. Just a couple examples

Now part two of the question. If you believe in this theory, do you believe a person can change their body weight set point by staying at a certain body compostiton for a long time?

This is the main reason I bring up this thread. Before doing my show I stayed fairly lean but didnt have abs. Now after having dieted down and having my shoulder injury I have stayed around 8% or so bodyfat for several months while eating like crap all weekend long. I cleaned up my diet and I am currently eating over 350g of carbs a day and cannot gain weight and stay hungry all the time. I was never like this before and it made me think of this theory. So what say you???
Even if it was so, wouldnt the genetic pre-determined point be different for different lifestyles for the same person? And if it changed for different lifestyles for the same dude, what exactly is the value of this theory?
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote