Thread: Hepburn Method
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Going to start it in 2 weeks, so until then, I can ponder if I should follow the way it's written or change things up.

One of the main things I was thinking of changing was the deadlift frequency. Not sure if i can handle 2x a week and do both the 8x2 and 3x8....I was thinking doing deadlift
I would do deadlifts 1x a week. 2x can be hard at 8x3. A 4 week cycle works out well when deadlifting once per week, if you want to cycle volume. Like this:

--Week one 5x3
--Week two 6x3
--Week three 7x3
--Week four 8x3

Week 5 you add 10 pounds and drop the volume. This adds 130 pound to your deadlift in a year.

Perhaps after a couple of years it might make sense to consider deadlifting 2x a week, but even them I would recommend a week off every third week just for recovery.

Hope this isn't too confusing. Basically you want to build strength and conditioning over time.

I also wouldn't add in 3x8's for deadlifts. I would prefer you do barbell or dumbbell rows. Or pullups. This is all my opinion, but it is based on a lot of deadlift experience. The deadlift is a unique lift and can be real taxing, so baby it a bit from the start.

Quote:
I cut down my maxes a bit more than 20%...more like 30-35%, just to ensure I can handle the volume.
Good idea. Start down and build up. Very wise.

Quote:
I know what you are thinking: "why is the squat 250?" good question. I have lots of mobility issues that I am working through and figured I should cut down my max squat a lot so I can do it properly without trying to pad my ego.
My only other advice would be to let us look at your squat form somewhere down the line, just to see if there is anything we can do to help.

Best of luck!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote