Thread: Routine help
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harloe View Post
Bendthebar, whats the rep scheme you would suggest for the 5/3/1?
Before I started 5/3/1 I did the boring but big rep setup but instead of 5/3/1 for the main lift I would always just do 3 sets of 5 heavy.
I use a system called a "rep goal". This is for squats, bench press and overhead press. It works like this using 3 sets as an example. It can be performed with 4 or 5 sets as well, based upon how much volume you need per lift.

3 Set Rep Goal Structure

--Perform 3 sets of the lift.
--Rest as long as you need in between sets.
--Perform as many reps as possible on each set, stopping a set when you feel like your form is getting out of control, or if you think you might fail on the next rep.

When you can perform 20 total reps for all 3 sets (not 20 reps per set), add weight to the bar.

This allows you to push on every set, and progression is auto-regulated instead of being arbitrary. Simply stated this means you added weight when you can, and not by any other random means.

For some exercises you might want to make the 3 set "rep goal" 25 reps. Some people like slightly higher rep squats or OHP, and a slightly higher rep goal can sneak in a few more reps.

You could also do a 4 set rep goal structure, and aim for 25 or 30 total reps.

Deadlifts...Deadlifts are somewhat of a unique exercise in my opinion, and I don't like pushing them too close to failure or bad form. You can use rep goals if you like, but I would stop them at any point when you feel shady on a set.

I would use a lower rep goal for deads...say 15 for a 3 set scheme. Mileage may vary.

Let me know if this makes sense?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote