View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
However, as a general thing, a low carb diet isn't a bad place to start. People need to know their own situation before embarking on something as extreme as that, and if they know its bad for them, they shouldn't do it. Much the same as I knew that carbs were not good for me, but I tried increasing them for several months because all the guys with big arms at the gym said I needed to.
I would add that when overweight individuals switch to more muscle and strength friendly diet plan they almost always eat far fewer carbs, even if this approach is not low-carb per se.

It is not unreasonable to say that a 270 pound man who is eating 4000 calories per day is consuming perhaps 100-120 grams of protein, a lot of bad fats and an immense amount of junk carbs.

To switch this man to even a modest bodybuilding plan he would be bumped down around to 130 to 175 grams of carbs, give or take. This is probably 1/3rd the amount of carbs he had eaten previously.

Paleo or low carb aside, carb manipulation is the foundation of most calorie-reduced diet plans - if strength and muscle building are in the equation, which for this question, they are.

Protein intake remains the same, or even increases slightly when cutting. Fat intake (percentage wise) remains the same. The only variable that is manipulated substantially is carb intake.

Most strength/bodybuilding diets are lower carb, more natural foods, and generally healthier fats. This in itself is a huge improvement.

The difference between a conventional bodybuilding/strength cutting diet plans and a Paleo approach might be 100 carbs give or take. This is not a huge divide in my opinion.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-23-2012 at 12:32 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote