The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
It depends on the "type" of diabetes. In some diabetic patients going very low carb can be deadly.

My main point really, is that we have to take each person on their own individual characteristics, consider what they have to train with, and other variables, and set up diet and training around this premise.

How was your day, Brute?
This point is true no matter how many fad diets and systems come out. I'm partial to low carb, but you are absolutely right about the type of diabetes. Type II diabetics, like myself, can greatly benefit from reduced carb diets because high blood sugar and excess fat/insulin resistance is a major part of the problem. Type I diabetics would quickly die if they mismanaged an insulin shot and were using a low carb approach.

As to my day, its good, but being back on a cutting diet is harder that giving up smoking or drinking for me. Down 9 pounds in 2 days using my low carb approach, and my blood sugar is staying stable so the cravings are under control. Hope things are going well in your neck of the woods.

Jumping back to individualizing things, I have a lot of conflicting thoughts about it and realize that
1. I haven't been training all that long, and
2. I'm still pretty young compared to many of the folks over here

but here are the thoughts of a young man coming up on 30 more quickly than he would like to admit.

A certain level of individualization is good. I'm going to use terms from my industry and say personalization and customization. Personalization is tailoring minor aspects to meet your preferences, while customization is a major overhaul of the system. I think everyone needs to personalize their training and diet, but very few need to customize right away.

Some may function better on a higher carb diet, some may do well on low carb, some may need 40g carbs or 20g or 100g. For the average fat guy, we'll personalize the routine and diet as we go and as we learn how he responds. For a diabetic or someone with some other metabolic syndrome, we can customize to take their specific situation in account, just as we wouldn't prescribe squats to someone missing a leg.

However, as a general thing, a low carb diet isn't a bad place to start. People need to know their own situation before embarking on something as extreme as that, and if they know its bad for them, they shouldn't do it. Much the same as I knew that carbs were not good for me, but I tried increasing them for several months because all the guys with big arms at the gym said I needed to.

To sum up, we only customize when there is an over-arching need, but personalize everything so that it takes the individuals unique characteristics into account and maximizes their experience.