Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

My go to concept is "start with the basics"

Spend a few weeks working out your nutrition. "A few weeks?" you say. YES. The calculators and formulas used to figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate = how many calories you need just to live and breath) and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure or something like that) are a great place to start, but are only an estimate. Spend a few weeks finding out what your true maintenance level is and then you can begin your cut or bulk by adding or subtracting calories from that number. This will involve tracking amounts, calories and macros. Keep in mind that this number also changes with your body. As you lose, it goes down, when you gain it goes up. So, you will periodically have to adjust all of your numbers.

Training wise. If you are just starting, begin with a fullbody routine built around compound exercise. Check out the routine section on this website to find some great option.

What about cardio? It helps, more if cutting. Be reasonable however, I see too many people going crazy and doing the Biggest Loser sort of thing and hitting the gym for hours at a time. Give your body some time to rest and do something productive with your life. Get off the riding mower and use a push mower. Yardio is great in two ways, helps the body and helps the family. Get out and play with the kids. They will love you for it, especially as they see you being able to do more and more with them. My favorite is Parkio... no longer follow CPPP (closest possible parking place), park as far out as possible from the store and walk as fast as possible into and out of the store. Guys, you want to cut down on those trips to the mall? Insist on the family practicing parkio.

Just a few thoughts. Nuff said.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote