MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

OK, this was me 2 years ago. I was a big fat slob 5'8" 225 lbs, worse I was 45 years old.

So, I cut calories to 2000 like a maniac, and did 45 min cardio, 45 min weights (high rep, 3x8 or 2x 15 everything supersetted) 5 days a week. That got me under control, and I was reasonably fit after 18-20 months, I could look at myself in the mirror without horror.

But I wasn't appreciably stronger, and while I was decently fit (I could fit into my college jeans), I wasn't really fit like a crossfitter either. Soccer games with my kids were still bit strenuous for example.

And I hadn't curbed my hunger at all. I'd cardio more so I could binge from time to time.

So, to answer the question. If I was going back and doing it all over again in order to gain more muscle and lose fat along with getting a bit stronger and looking good without a shirt. I'd eat a more disciplined diet basically 30-30-40 Protein-fats-carbs, with the carbs coming from fruits and veg, and I'd work out with weights 3 times a week with the big movements, Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and OHP. A couple times a week, I'd do something very active like basketball, or some other cardio or something like that.

I believe if you follow that you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

I'm interested to see what other people think as I think everyone is different and there are lots of ways to skin a cat.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote