View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I was thinking about isolation lifts last night, because this is a recurring question. I will try not to be long winded in how I view their usage.

First, when I look at bodybuilding programming I place my main pieces into the puzzle. These are the big compound movements:
  • Squats
  • Deadlifts
  • Bench Press
  • Overhead Press
  • Rows
  • Dips
  • Chins/Pull Ups
  • Stiff leg Deadlifts/Glute Ham Raise
  • Olympic Variarions (If used)
  • Power Shrugs (If used)

These include variations, of course. Workouts usually include multiple variations of each during the week. For example, you might do overhead press on a heavy day and Arnold dumbbell presses on a moderate/medium day.

Next, I see if any of the following fit in or are needed within a specific split/workout:
  • Calf Raises
  • Barbell and Dumbbell Curls (Or Hammer/Pinwheel Curls)
  • French Press or Seated Dumbbell Extensions
  • Skullcrushers
  • Ab Work
  • Side Bends
  • Grip Work - Static Holds
  • Shoulder/Rotator Cuff Pre-hab/Rehab
  • Pullovers

Obviously we are moving into isolation range here.

After this point, if there are holes lacking in the workout due to equipment restrictions or special needs, I would next consider exercises like:
  • Leg Press
  • Walking Lunge
  • Cable Rows/Machine T-Bar Rows
  • Hammer Strength Overhead Press
  • Hammer Strength Bench Press
  • Assisted Pull Ups Machine
  • Assisted Dips Machine
  • Cable Tricep Extension
  • Lat Pull Down
  • Upright Row

When working with bad gyms, limited equipment, etc., you want to choose isolation and machine exercises that allow for the most progression.

After this we are left with isolation lifts that generally provide very little progression of weight, unless a bodybuilder starts to cheat these lifts. These could be used on a light day, or as finishers. (Rest pause, FST-7 style, "down the rack" sets, supersetted with a compound lift, etc.)
  • Flyes
  • Side Laterals
  • Pec Dec
  • Concentration Curls
  • Forearm Curls
  • Preacher Curls
  • Tricep Kickbacks
  • Leg Extensions
  • Leg Curl

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote