Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor
Default Serious Question

We recently found out that my grandmother has developed uterine cancer and it has progressed past stage 1. She is rather obese and developed diabetes a long time ago, which she seems to do nothing about. With all that being said, no one in our family really knows where this is going to go.

Long story short, I've heard from my sister and my mother that my grandmother has always been disappointed (saddened) at the fact that no one has named their daughter after her. My sister didn't get her name as a first, or even a middle name. And when my sister had her two daughters, she didn't give them her name either.

I suppose I believe that its important to pass down names, in order to honor our family. I would like to have daughters named after my mother and my wife's mother, as they have been given the names of their grandmothers, and so has my wife.

I don't have any kids yet, but we do plan to have some in the coming years. If we have a daughter, I would like to honor my grandmother by passing on her name, either as a first name or middle name. And what I debate is whether or not I should tell her that I intend to do so, as I am very optimistic as to whether or not she will live to see the day that I do have a daughter, if I even have a daughter at all.

I've witnessed a lot of death during my short period of time on earth. A lot of things have gone unsaid to those that I lost, and I hold a lot of regrets about the relationships I had with those people. And for that reason, I feel like I would like her to know that even if she isn't around to see the day that she has a great granddaughter named after her, that her name will indeed be passed down. However, I also don't want to upset her with unsaid implications that she may not survive this situation.

Thoughts? I am torn between the two and I don't know how much time I have to make a decision. In terms of carrying on traditions; I am the only surviving male with my last name, so I have a lot of responsibilities. I believe I would like to my grandmother proud, but at the same time not stress her out by silently implying that she may never live to see the day.