View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #31
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Butt View Post
Hatfield was editor of Muscle and Fitness, for several years IIRC. So there certainly was a Weider link - he was on the payroll and at the helm of their flagship publication.
Thanks Casey. I thought there was a tie-in somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
I have Dr Squat's book "Hardcore Bodybuilding: A scientific approach". It's a good read and lays out the ideas (supposedly based on science) nicely enough for the lay man. But, frankly, for anyone who is into hard sciences, that isnt scientific at all. The graphs are schematic in nature and not based on actual data points. Not taking anything away from that book. I read it and used the ideas and benefitted myself. Just saying that despite the "scientific" word in the book title, it doesnt quite cut it in the scientific community. Anyhow, thats a good read for a layman to get exposed to the ideas.

There is one experiment that is described over there in the book. All it shows is that the workout delivers the results. It does not have enough data to validate Dr Squat's claims of a certain muscle group needing "x" amount of days/hrs to recover after a "B" workout and "y" hrs after a "C" workout etc. In other words, quite a few more experiments should have been done/described to show that the workout is as optimized as it is claimed to be.

This isnt a diss. Just saying that Dr Squat, while talking to the general lay public at least, talks more about the "ideas" without actually getting to the scientific studies and proof. This doesnt mean, mind you, that there isnt proof of what he is claiming in the literature. Just that he tends to give those reference a short shrift in message boards and popular books.
I have that book as well. It's complexity made you feel scientific. The HLM approach is admirable, except for days where all the stars align and you have to work nearly every muscle group.

I have had direct conversation with him where I would ask for references to back his opinions and he would mock me or Casey. That's the point where I stopped taking him seriously. Well that, and when he told me that his wife could have train Paul Anderson or Doug Hepburn to lift more then they did - or something like that.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links