Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I will stand firmly by my point...the move to a diet filled with known unhealthy processed ingredients and additives is at the root cause of most of society's modern health issues.

I disagree. Processed foods, grass fed vs grain fed, glycemic indexes, etc. are all really insignificant in comparison to being over-weight, caused by excessive caloric intake. There are a lot of things that can be argued in either direction when it comes to what is healthy or adequate intake, but one thing that cannot be argued is all of the health problems and predispositions caused by simply being over-weight (and more often, obese).

There is nothing that research has ever proven to have a stronger relationship to CHD like inflammation.

And for whatever it may be worth to you, as I am aware of our nutritional differences, I don't like Weston Price. I've been on his site and read several articles from there. At first I came across some things that I had read about in the past, and it seemed like good information. Then the more I read, the more I found out that the guy was a quack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
As an outsider who has read these debates I have to say that at times in these threads it appears we are arguing for or against a processed food diet and I am at a loss as to why. I am not trying to troll or start trouble but rather speak as honestly as I can.

The argument shouldn't really pertain to natural or processed foods. Processed foods will have very little to virtually no negative health impacts as long as the points of general health have been met.

Maintain a healthy body-weight.
Eat fruits and veggies.
Consume adequate protein.
Get the bulk of your food from unprocessed sources.

This is very simplified, but it would keep you considerably healthier than the average person.

Generally, processed foods have very little to offer in terms of valued nutrition and are calorically dense. So when the majority of your intake comes from processed foods, you're typically left with consuming excessive calories and malnutrition (in terms of micronutrient and often macronutrient intake).

With all this being said, if you're living within your caloric means and following the basic principles behind a healthy diet; having a cookie or ice cream or whatever, isn't going to make the slightest difference in overall health.

As all other things in life, moderation will always be key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple X View Post
Soooo,

The next time i cook up 6 eggs and a half pound of bacon, i should:
A- throw the bacon grease out and tamp the extra grease off my bacon.
Or
B- Cook the eggs in the bacon grease like last time.

Only reason i'm being so picky about the answer is i will be eating this meal a lot as i will be getting all the free range cage free eggs i can pack down ( family raises chickens) and you cant eat eggs without bacon

I could care less taste wise if i dump the grease or eat it...

Personally, I would go with A. Free range and cage free and all the nonsense surrounding it is nice, but immensely overrated. Long story short; take fish oil.

Contrary to what I see posted on various forums, a rampant intake of saturated fat is not healthy. Context of the individual has a lot of barring on whether or not it is healthy for you to consume *higher* amounts of saturated fats.

I'm not suggesting to steer clear of saturated fats at all costs, I'm just saying limit them. Eat leaner cuts of meats and leaner meats in general. Consume more turkey, chicken and fish. People need more variety in all aspects of their diet; meat selection is no different.