View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #25
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple X View Post
Tons of good info in here! Thabks for all the replys guys. But i still havent got my particular answer... to be more specific. I ate bacon and eggs. I have no doub that eggs are great. I am curious on the bacon though... some say its a health nightmare, some say its great. I even cooked my eggs in the bacon grease. Did i do my body a favor or a disservice by upping the fat content of the meal? (Excluding the fact that my bacon wasnt "grass fed"). do they even do grass fed pork? The eggs were free range, cage free
As I said earlier, if you control every other factor and replace saturated fats (like those in bacon) with healthful ones, the current best evidence is that there is a modest increase in life expectancy.

You can't really go on anecdotal evidence (e.g. 'I feel better when I eat bacon' So what? Lots of people feel better when they smoke) or comments about needing fat and sodium (again: so what? It's like telling someone on the Titanic that the body needs water).

However, you have to view it within the context of your whole diet and lifestyle. Yes, bacon is a high-sodium, high saturated fat food, and there is strong evidence linking both of those with early mortality. But it's not as simple as that. As Steve quite rightly says, potassium intake can help redress some of the problems of a high sodium diet. If you maintain lower bodyfat and visceral fat (as you obviously do, from your avatar), then that's a massive plus too.

And moderation in all things. I love bacon, and a life without bacon - even a long one - would be scarcely worth living.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote