Old 02-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #15
MonsterMike
Brawn
Points: 1,098, Level: 17 Points: 1,098, Level: 17 Points: 1,098, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
MonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Well it doesn't have to be quite as dramatic as one or the other But I'm curious as to people's opinions here. This is what I mean:

Multiple Sets Across

Back Squat 135lbs x 5 (WU), 220lbs x 5 (WU), 265lbs x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Ramping to a Top Set

Back Squat 135lbs x 5 (WU), 185lbs x 5 (WU), 220lbs x 5 (WU), 315lbs x 5

Obviously both are used and will continue to be used by people, but I'm interested in what people think are the benefits of each. In terms of what they offer, how they play in with weekly volume, how they interplay with overall intensity. How they play out at different strength and experience levels, etc etc.

Discuss
Depends on what you are training for....but if you are a competitve powerlifter...at some point in those multiple sets..the technique will break down....I'd rather do something where my technique doesnt have to break down...like the 265 on the last sets..you end up with a total of 25 reps with 265....why not do 8 sets of 3 and make sure the technique is good on all three reps than 5 sets of 5 and likely have the last few reps of the set of 5 be bad? Its the same amount of reps and volume in reagrds to amount of weight lifted (5x5 @265=6625lbs lifted in the workout....8x3@265 (1 rep left off)=6360lbs in the workout) plus you are continually having your muscles feel good technique under heavy weight.
MonsterMike is offline   Reply With Quote