View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

To be honest, I didn't change workouts for over 20 years.

My advice for younger lifters reading this is to stop worrying about specific routines and start thinking about improving lifts. Work hard, get stronger and evolve your training based on how things are going.

Most workouts are the same lifts in different packages.

You need to allow your body to adapt to the conditioning demands of a workout so you can start to focus on improving performance (strength progression). If someone keeps changing routines a lot of the adaptation they are experiencing is to the specific conditioning demands of that program, and do not necessarily translate into strength and muscle gains.

It is only once your body has adapted to a program that you can start to improve performance.

Rest pause training for example. I decided to experiment with it in 2008. For the first 4 weeks my body was adapting to the specific demands of the program and my strength gains were in a hover pattern. Once my body adapted to the pace of the program, and gained conditioning, my strength gains started to skyrocket.

This is the same for any athletic pursuit. If you take up running it will take you 4 to 6 weeks perhaps before you can run a mile without feeling like a physical wreck. Once you have built up some basic ability, then you can focus on improving performance.

This performance improvement might take 6 months, a year or 18 months. If you keep changing up how you train your running during this time you might be spending too much time, energy and recovery ability adjusting to new demands. Instead, you should be focused on improving your performance, making minor tweaks to your existing training protocol.

Lifting...same thing. Spend too much time playing around and adapting to new programming demands and you're taking time away from improving your performance.

The best thing a starting lifter can do is to stop thinking in terms of programs and workouts as t-shirts that they can try on. Instead, look at the commonalities, find a rep scheme and progression scheme that appeals to them, and run with it, making changes along the way.

When people jump into the Reeve's fullbody we advice them to start very slow because the conditioning demands and extremely unique when compared to a split. It is only after 4-6 weeks, once you have adapted to the conditioning demands of the program, that you can get down to business. The important business.

Lifting has become so over-marketed that every program has a slick name, and are positioned to look unique so they are appealing. Ignore all this and look for the commonalities.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-05-2012 at 10:09 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote