JordanK91
Max Brawn
Points: 3,712, Level: 38 Points: 3,712, Level: 38 Points: 3,712, Level: 38
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Training Exp: 0 - Newbie
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: USN Muscle Fuel
JordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Having balance in your workout between rowing/pulling and pressing movements is something you should be aware of to start with and is usually the cause. Rounded shoulders is usually a combination of tight pec's and weak upper back muscles - traps/rhomboids. I'm currently doing quite a bit to correct my posture in the same way as you.

To loosen the pecs you can either go with stretching, something like doorway stretches or what I prefer is using a hard ball and rolling my pecs against the wall, this gives me a massive release and looseness.

My next suggestion would be wall slides. These might be hard at first but really make a difference for me when done correctly. Just keep the scaps down and avoid shrugging. Scroll down to number 7 in this article: T NATION | Essential 8 Mobility Drills.

To strengthen the upper back, rowing will go a long way, just make sure you're getting the most out of it. Here's some advice from another thread:

To really target the upper back and rhomboids I like to do band pull-aparts but there are a few other exercises you can do, diesel crew on youtube have a lot of videos for these. Face-pulls is a favourite of mine also with a scapula retraction at the start of each rep like in this video:
DieselCrew.com - Shoulder Rehab - Face Pulls - YouTube

The last thing that I add into my upper body stretch/mobility routine is thoracic extensions. You can either use a foam roller or 2 tennis balls taped together for this, I think one version is in the T-Nation article linked above.

Doing these regularly and properly should start to make a difference and even just forcing your shoulders back when walking around will make a difference. Hopefully this will help you and if there's anything else I'm sure others will chime in.
Some great info here. Thanks very much. I'll have to get cracking on it.
JordanK91 is offline   Reply With Quote