BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
It depends how bad the lean is Josh, and also how you're built. Heavy (subjective) forward lean isn't necessary indicative of bad form, not everyone will squat pretty. I certainly don't. At various points I've tried to 'fix' my forward lean, there was nothing to fix though. That's just the way I squat.

Having said that the biggest contributors to good form for me are:

1) Toes out, knees out so I can drop between my thighs rather than on top of them.

2) Slightly higher bar position. On top of your rear delts is fine, I've seen some guys take low bar too far.

3) Drop faster.

4) Stretch prior.

The best thing would be to see a video of a max set. We can go from there.
Very good post.
As far as the good form contributors are concerned:
1.) I am confident that I am good. I get my legs open enough that I can drop in between.
2.) This is something I may have to look at. It is quite possible I am going a bit to low. Interesting that you bring this up, because at one time I played with barbell positioning a bit. I went really low and basically came to the conclusion that placing the bar lower wasn't necessarily better.
3.) I make an effort to commit to the descent and really drop fast.
4.) I stretch my groin, but that is about it.

What stretches do you use?

This isn't the first time it's been recommended to me that I get a squat video posted. I am not avoiding it for fear of criticism or trying to hide something, it is the logistics of getting someone to go with me that is also willing to film me. Having said that, I am going to make the commitment to go ahead and make it happen. If that's what it takes to improve my squat, then I need to do it.

Thanks Fazc.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote