View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default The quest an 800 (900?) deadlift and specialization

I want your thoughts on deadlift specialization. I have been tossing this around for months and think I am to the point where I need to either "sh*t or get off the pot" with this idea. Primarily I am trying to decide if it's worth it.

Right now my raw deadlift is close to 675. I am fairly certain by year's end my raw deadlift will be around 700.

After this meet I am going to start using a suit and belt. I was talking with Jonathan Byrd and believe I can add at least 50 pounds with this combo. Looking at 2012 I have a chance of hitting 800 if I work hard. I plan on working hard with the gear, and moving up if I can, even if it's only for a chance at 10-20 more pounds.

My point in all this is that right now all I care about is the deadlift. Time is not on my side and I want to make sure I don't miss any opportunities. If I can get 800 at the age of 45, which I really believe is a possibility, I "might" have a real chance at 900 before age catches up to me. At least I will be making a run at it. Perhaps I will fail in an epic manner.

So, with all this said, do you believe specialization is worth is? It's not like I won't train heavy bench and squat, but I am simply wondering if limiting squat and bench heavy sessions to once a week would be of benefit in the long run?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links